In Boys Should Be Boys, one of our most trusted authorities helps parents restore the delights of boyhood and enable today’s boys to become the mature, confident, and thoughtful men of tomorrow. Boys will always be boys–rambunctious, adventurous, and curious, climbing trees, building forts, playing tackle football, and pushing their growing bodies to the limit as part of the rite of passage into manhood. But today our sons face an increasingly hostile world that doesn’t value the high-spirited, magical nature of boys. In a collective call to let our boys be boys, Dr. Meg Meeker explores the secrets to boyhood, including
• why rules and boundaries are crucial–and why boys feel lost without them
• how the outdoors is still the best playground, offering the sense of adventure that only Mother Nature can provide
• the essential ways to preserve a boy’s innocence (and help him grow up)
• the pitfalls moms and dads face when talking to their sons
• why moody and rebellious boys are not normal–and how to address such behavior
• how and when the “big” questions in life should be discussed: why he is here, what his purpose is, and why he is important
Parents are blessed with intuition and heart, but raising sons is a daunting responsibility. This uplifting guide makes the job a little easier.
“God, please help me…another game of Candy Land…”
Quite a few dads spend time with their kids. However, many have no clue what their kids really need.
Enter author Jay Payleitner, veteran dad of five, who’s also struggled with how to build up his children’s lives. His 52 Things Kids Need from a Dad combines straightforward features with step-up-to-the-mark challenges men will appreciate:
a full year’s worth of focused, doable ideas―one per week, if desired uncomplicated ways to be an example, like “kiss your wife in the kitchen”
tough, frank advice, like “throw away your porn”
NO exhaustive (and exhausting) lists of “things you should do”
NO criticism of dads for being men and acting like men
Dads will feel respected and empowered, and gain confidence to initiate activities that build lifelong positives into their kids. Great gift or men’s group resource!
Affordable, fun, and creative daddy-daughter dates that build a strong relationship and lasting memories.
The relationship that matters most to your daughter isn't the one with her mother―it's the one with you, Dad. Her self-esteem, choices, behavior, character, and even her ideas about or choice of a marriage partner are all directly tied to you, as the most important representative to her of the male species.
In Be the Dad She Needs You to Be Dr. Kevin Leman, internationally-known psychologist, New York Times best-selling author, and father of four daughters, will show you not only how to get the fathering job done and done well, but also how to:
Make each daughter feel unique, special, and valued
Discipline the right way . . . when it's needed
Talk turkey about what guys are really thinking
Keep the critical eye at bay
Wave the truce flag when females turn your family room into a battleground
Set your daughter up for life and relational success
With some effort on your part (and very few dollars), you can gain the kind of relationship you dream of with your daughter―one based on mutual love and respect. The simple yet profound suggestions will transform you into the kind of man your daughter needs . . . for a lifetime.
In Do Fathers Matter? the award-winning journalist and father of five Paul Raeburn overturns the lingering myths and stereotypes of bumbling dads and disciplinarian patriarchs through an in-depth and personal investigation of the latest scientific findings on the parent we've often overlooked. Drawing on research from neuroscientists, animal behaviorists, geneticists, and developmental psychologists, among others, Raeburn takes us through the various stages of fatherhood, revealing the profound physiological connections between children and their fathers, from conception through adolescence and into adulthood-and how these connections can help us become better parents ourselves.
Raeburn shows us how the role of the father is distinctly different from that of the mother, and that embracing fathers' significance in the lives of young people is something we can all benefit from. An engrossing and eye-opening book that makes a case for a new perspective on the fathers in our lives no matter what our family structure, Do Fathers Matter? will change the way we view fatherhood today.
Why Fathers Count: The Importance of Fathers and Their Involvement with Children (edited by Sean E. Brotherson and Joseph M. White) is an anthology (27 articles) dealing with the most important work men ever do?-being totally involved in the lives of their children and families. It is men's strengths, their capacity to care and protect and give, that are needed by children, women, and men themselves. In a culture that questions the value of men in family life, we need a compelling perspective on what men can contribute to their families and communities and insight on the ways in which fathers and father figures make a meaningful difference. Why Fathers Count offers that insight, giving a fresh and powerful perspective on the meaningful contributions of fathers and father figures to the lives of children and families.
Show Dad your appreciation with this classic from New York Times bestselling author Greg Lang. Why A Daughter Needs a Dad has been bringing together fathers and daughters for over a decade, and makes the perfect gift for dads everywhere.
To a daughter, no one is stronger or braver than her dad. He's someone to laugh with and a shoulder to cry on, and no matter what, there's no place safer than in her father's arms.
A Daughter Needs a Dad...
• To tell her truthfully that she is the most beautiful of all
• To teach her to believe that she deserves to be treated well
• To show her how to fix things for herself
• Who will not punish her for her mistakes, but help her learn from them
• To teach her what it means to always be there
Featuring over 40 breathtaking black & white photos, Why A Daughter Needs a Dadcelebrates 100 reasons why Dad's steadfast love is the guide his little girl needs to become the woman she's destined to be.
Show Dad your appreciation with this classic from New York Times bestselling author Greg Lang. Why a Son Needs a Dad has been bringing together fathers and sons for years, and makes the perfect gift for dads everywhere.
To a son, Dad is a superhero-big, strong, and always there to save the day. Whether tossing a ball or bandaging a skinned knee, Dad's hands are a constant source of comfort and safety.
A Son Needs a Dad...
• To tell him that there is no disgrace in losing
• To teach him to always give a good day's work
• To go with him on imaginary adventures
• To teach him how to be a gentleman
• Who will show him affection without hesitation
Featuring over 40 inspiring black & white photos, Why A Son Needs a Dad celebrates 100 reasons why Dad's love is a beacon of guidance and strength to help his son become the wonderful man he's destined to be.
In today’s increasingly complicated world, it’s often difficult for parents to connect with their daughters–and especially so for fathers. In this unique and invaluable guide, Dr. Meg Meeker, a pediatrician with more than twenty years’ experience counseling girls, reveals that a young woman’s relationship with her father is far more important than we’ve ever realized. To become a strong, confident woman, a daughter needs her father’s attention, protection, courage, and wisdom. Dr. Meeker shares the ten secrets every father needs to know in order to strengthen or rebuild bonds with his daughter and shape her life–and his own–for the better. Inside you’ll discover:
• the essential virtues of strong fathers–and how to develop them
• the cues daughters take from their dads on everything from self-respect to drugs, alcohol, and sex
• the truth about ground rules (girls do want them, despite their protests)
• the importance of becoming a hero to your daughter
• the biggest mistake a dad can make–and the ramifications
• the fact that girls actually depend on their dads’ guidance into adulthood
• steps fathers can follow to help daughters avoid disastrous decisions and mistakes
• ways in which a father’s faith–or lack thereof–will influence his daughter
• essential communication strategies for different stages of a girl’s life
• true stories of “prodigal daughters”–and how their fathers helped to bring them back
Dads, you are far more powerful than you think–and if you follow Dr. Meeker’s advice, the rewards will be unmatched.
Books Featured at Strong Fathers Events:
Need more? Check out our full list of recommended books to explore with your kids.